If you are searching “how to install a security door“, use this article as your DIY guide!
Steps To Install Security Door
Follow these six steps to safely install your new security door.
Step 1. Required Tools And Materials
- Choose a metal security door with attached hinges for ease of installation.
- Your selection needs to be based on measurements of the door it will soon cover.
- Include all necessary equipment for mounting purposes with your purchase.
- Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions to see if you have all the necessary equipment.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for the installation process.
Step 2. Measure Opening And Cut Z Bar
- Use a tape measurer to measure the height of the door opening.
- Measure all the way from the lower inner frame to the top inner frame.
- The “Z bar” is the piece that attaches to the metal screen door.
- Wear gloves and safety glasses while performing this step.
- Using a hacksaw, cut the Z bar to fit within the door opening.
- Cut the Z bar 3/16-inch smaller than the width of the door frame.
Step 3. Proper Fitting
- Now place the metal security door within the door opening.
- Make sure it fits properly.
- If needed, have a partner hold the door in place as you are drilling.
Step 4. Hang Metal Screen Door
- Using a power drill, secure the door to the brick molding next.
- Use the screws included in the manufacturer’s installation hardware to perform this task.
- Next, drill the screws through the holes that are found in the hinges.
- Now drive the screws through the Z bar, into the molding.
- Make sure it is hung evenly by attempting to open and close the door.
Step 5. Secure Header
- Place the header piece atop the security screen door.
- Find the precut holes in the header.
- The holes will determine where you’ll need to put the screws.
- Match the size of the screws with the proper screwdriver blade size.
- Screw the header into place with the screwdriver.
Step 6. Install Expander
- Slip the expander piece along the bottom of the door after opening the door.
- This is a strip that acts as a barrier, which keeps debris from collecting beneath the door.
- Screw the expander into place with an electric drill.
- Check to see if there is enough clearance by opening and closing the door afterward.
C&I Show Security Systems Offers Access Control System Installation in Phoenix, AZ
C&I Show Security Systems is a GSA Contract Holder providing ADA Power Operations throughout the Phoenix, Arizona valley. Click here to see a full list of commercial access control systems we offer.